Temple VI is known as the Temple of the Inscriptions because the central panel on the rear of its roof comb contains one of the longest inscriptions at the site. This text is extremely important for reconstructing the history of Tikal.
"The recorded dates included in the massive inscription extend over a period of 1905 years, reaching back into what must have been mythological time for the Maya who carved the text. Further dates concern later historical events that remained in the oral tradition or were contemporary."
Peter Harrison, The Lords of Tikal, p. 160-161