John Lloyd Stephens visited Kabah in 1842. He describes the courtyard as one hundred and seventy feet long, one hundred and ten broad, and elevated ten feet from the ground. At the time of his visit, the courtyard had been cleared and was planted with corn. Within the courtyard, Stephens describes a "picote, or great stone found thrown down"; subsequently, Pollack, who describes the stone as a "column altar", found it broken in two when he visited during the 1950s. It has since been reassembled and erected in the central platform.
John Lloyd Stephens and Frederick Catherwood, Incidents of Travel in Yucatan, 1843