The Cloister at Mani

Cloister at Mani Cloister at Mani

June 1995

NEXT BACK

Lush palms help to soften the austere lines of the two storey cloister, situated behind the Indian Chapel and next to the church. A boarding school was established by the Friars after 1550 to teach Christian doctrine and Latin script to the sons of the Maya elite; a choir school was set up to teach the boys to sing polyphonic masses.

Please send comments to: toMarion@cox.net
Last update: March 5, 2000